Migraine headaches can turn your life upside down due to the fatigue and restlessness that comes with them. What begins as a dull pain may take the shape of a mild or severe pulsing pain.
In most cases, women with migraine headaches opt for OTC medication. But did you know that there are ways of dealing with them naturally? In this blog, we’ll discuss the different natural migraine headache treatments that are super efficient.
Effective Natural Remedies for a Migraine Headache
1. Getting a Good Sleep
While this one might seem obvious, it can do wonders for your migraine headache. Often, migraines result from a poor night’s sleep. So, getting good sleep can be effective in fighting a migraine headache. Here are a few things you can do to encourage sound sleep.
- Minimise distractions: You can do so by not taking work material to bed and avoiding screen time before sleeping. In addition, closing your bedroom door can also help.
- Choose Sleeping hours: Waking up and going to bed at specified hours facilitates a good night of sleep.
- Unwinding: Doing things that soothe you can help you sleep better. These include listening to music, reading, or soaking in a warm bath.
2. Eating Wisely
Yes, your eating habits can influence your migraines. So try not to skip meals, aim for wholesome meals throughout the day, and keep a food journal. Moreover, avoiding foods that trigger migraines is vital.
3. Managing Stress
A migraine headache and stress generally go hand in hand. Here are some things you can do to control your everyday stress levels.
- Manage your time wisely: Plan your day in advance by keeping a to-do list.
- Meditate: Taking out 5-10 minutes to meditate can be exceedingly relaxing.
- Enjoy yourself: Take out time for activities that you enjoy daily.
4. Pursue Physical Activity
Your body releases certain chemicals that help block pain signals to your brain when you work out. Such chemicals also alleviate stress and depression. So pick a physical activity you enjoy — cycling, walking, or swimming — and pursue it daily.
5. Aromatherapy/Essential Oils
Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids made from different plant elements. These include leaves, roots, stems, bark, and flowers. Aromatherapy is a process of using essential oils for therapeutic benefits.
When inhaled, the scent molecules in special essential oils go from the olfactory nerves to the brain. As a result, they impact the emotional centre of the brain or amygdala to help you relax. Plus, they help uplift your mood. Natural essential oils work best when blended with cold-pressed ayurvedic oils.
It’s best to use cold-pressed essential oils to boost the antioxidant quotient and reduce oxidative stress on the skin efficiently.
Having a migraine headache can be exasperating. Natural remedies like eating wisely, getting good sleep, exercising, and managing stress levels can be effective in preventing it. However, one of the best natural remedies for a migraine headache is aromatherapy using essential oils and ayurvedic oils.